This page takes a look at which markets professional sports team in the NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, CFL, MLS and NLL call home. It might surprise a few people just how many professional mens teams certain markets actually have. In Canada, Toronto is the only city with a team in each of the 6 professional sports with a CFL team, since there aren’t any NFL teams north of the border. Ontario is also the province with the most teams with 9, followed by Alberta with 6. In the United States, California has the most professional sports teams with 18, 8 of those in the Los Angeles Metro, with the San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland area just behind boasting 7 teams. The New York City Metro has the most sports teams of any city in North America with 10 and soon to be 11 when the New York City FC club joins the MLS in 2015. In Summary, Canada has 6 provinces with teams, while the United States has professional teams playing in 27 states, leaving both countries with teams in only half of their provinces, territories and states.
Canadian Sports Teams (7 NHL, 9 CFL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 2 MLS, 4 NLL)
Alberta – 2 NHL, 2 CFL, 2 NLL (6 Total)
- Calgary (3) – Calgary Flames (NHL), Calgary Stampeders (CFL), Calgary Roughnecks (NLL)
- Edmonton (3) – Edmonton Oilers (NHL), Edmonton Eskimos (CFL), Edmonton Rush (NLL)
British Columbia – 1 NHL, 1 CFL, 1 MLS, 1 NLL (4 Total)
- Vancouver (4) – Vancouver Canucks (NHL), BC Lions (CFL), Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS), Vancouver Stealth (NLL) *Stealth play out of Langley, BC a suburb of Vancouver
Manitoba – 1 NHL, 1 CFL (2 Total)
- Winnipeg (2) – Winnipeg Jets (NHL), Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL)
Ontario – 2 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 3 CFL, 1 MLS, 1 NLL (9 Total)
- Hamilton (1) – Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL)
- Ottawa (2) – Ottawa Senators (NHL), Ottawa Red Blacks (CFL)
- Toronto (6) – Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA), Toronto Blue Jays (MLB-AL), Toronto Argonauts (CFL), Toronto FC (MLS), Toronto Rock (NLL)
Quebec – 1 NHL, 1 CFL, 1 MLS (3 Total)
- Montreal (3) – Montreal Canadiens (NHL), Montreal Alouettes (CFL), Montreal Impact (MLS)
Saskatchewan – 1 CFL (1 Total)
- Regina (1) – Saskatchewan Roughriders (CFL)
American Sports Teams (23 NHL, 29 NBA, 29 MLB, 32 NFL, 16 MLS, 5 NLL)
Arizona – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFL (4 Total)
- Phoenix Metro (4) – Arizona Coyotes (NHL), Phoenix Suns (NBA), Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB-NL), Arizona Cardinals (NFL-NFC) *The Coyotes and Cardinals both play in Glendale, AZ a suburb. The Suns and Diamondbacks both play in Phoenix, AZ.
California – 3 NHL, 4 NBA, 5 MLB, 3 NFL, 3 MLS (18 Total)
- Los Angeles Metro (8) – (2 NHL Teams) Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks / (2 NBA Teams) – Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers / (2 MLB Teams) Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (AL), Los Angeles Dodgers (NL) / (2 MLS Teams) LA Galaxy, Chivas USA * The Kings, Lakers, Clippers and Dodgers all play in Los Angeles, CA. The Angels and the Ducks both in the suburb of Anaheim, CA. The Galaxy and Chivas USA both in the suburb of Carson, CA.
- Sacramento (1) – Sacramento Kings (NBA)
- San Diego (2) – San Diego Padres (MLB-NL), San Diego Chargers (NFL-AFC)
- San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland Region (7) – San Jose Sharks (NHL), Golden State Warriors (NBA) / (2 MLB Teams) San Francisco Giants (NL), Oakland Athletics (AL) / (2 NFL Teams) San Francisco 49ers (NFC), Oakland Raiders (AFC) / San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) *The Sharks play in San Jose, CA. The Warriors, Athletics and Raiders play in Oakland, CA. The Giants play in San Francisco, CA. The 49ers and Earthquakes play in Santa Clara, CA.
Colorado – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFL, 1 MLS, 1 NLL (5 Total)
- Denver (5) – Colorado Avalanche (NHL), Denver Nuggets (NBA), Colorado Rockies (MLB-NL), Denver Broncos (NFL-AFC), Colorado Rapids (MLS), Colorado Mammoth (NLL) * The Rapids club plays out of Commerce City, CO a suburb of Denver.
District of Columbia – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFL, 1 MLS (5 Total)
- Washington (5) – Washington Capitals (NHL), Washington Wizards (NBA), Washington Nationals (MLB-NL), Washington Redskins (NFL-NFC), D.C. United (MLS)
Florida – 2 NHL, 2 NBA, 2 MLB, 3 NFL, 2 MLS (Both Future) – (11 Total, 9 Current)
- Jacksonville (1) – Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL-AFC)
- Miami (4, 1 Pending Stadium) – Florida Panthers (NHL), Miami Heat (NBA), Miami Marlins (MLB-AL), Miami Dolphins (NFL-AFC), Miami (MLS – Pending Stadium) *The Panthers and Dolphins play in Sunrise, FL a suburb. The Heat and Marlins both play in Miami, FL.
- Orlando (1 Current, 1 Expansion in 2015) – Orlando Magic (NBA), Orlando FC (MLS – 2015)
- Tampa/St. Petersburg (3) – Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL), Tampa Bay Rays (MLB-AL), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL-NFC) * The Lightning and Bucks both play in Tampa, FL. The Buccaneers play in St. Petersburg.
Georgia – 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFC (3 Total)
- Atlanta (2) – Atlanta Hawks (NBA), Atlanta Braves (MLB-NL), Atlanta Falcons (NFL-NFC)
Illinois – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 2 MLB, 1 NFL, 1 MLS (6 Total)
- Chicago (6) – Chicago Blackhawks (NHL), Chicago Bulls (NBA), Chicago White Sox (MLB-AL), Chicago Cubs (MLB-NL), Chicago Bears (NFL-NFC), Chicago Fire (MLS) *The Fire club plays out of Bridgeview, IL a suburb of Chicago.
Indiana – 1 NBA, 1 NFL (2 Total)
- Indianapolis (2)– Indiana Pacers (NBA), Indianapolis Colts (NFL-AFC)
Louisiana – 1 NBA, 1 NFL (2 Total)
- New Orleans (2) – New Orleans Pelicans (NBA), New Orleans Saints (NFL-NFC)
Maryland – 1 MLB, 1 NFL (2 Total)
- Baltimore (2) – Baltimore Orioles (MLB-AL), Baltimore Ravens (NFL-AFC)
Massachusetts – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFL, 1 MLS (4 Total)
- Boston/New England area (4) – Boston Bruins (NHL), Boston Celtics (NBA), Boston Red Sox (MLB-AL), New England Patriots (NFL-AFC), New England Revolution (MLS) * The Bruins, Celtics and Red Sox all play in Boston, Mass. The Patriots and Revolution play in Foxborough, Massachusetts just south of Boston.
Michigan – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFL (4 Total)
- Detroit Metro (4) – Detroit Red Wings (NHL), Detroit Pistons (NBA), Detroit Tigers (MLB-AL), Detroit Lions (NFL-NFC) *The Red Wings, Tigers and Lions all play in Detroit, MI. The Pistons play in Auburn Hills, MI a suburb.
Minnesota – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFL, 1 NLL (4 Total)
- Minneapolis/St. Paul (4) – Minnesota Wild (NHL), Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA), Minnesota Twins (MLB-AL), Minnesota Vikings (NFL-NFC), Minnesota Swarm (NLL)
Missouri/Kansas – 1 NHL, 2 MLB, 2 NFL, 1 MLS (6 Total)
- Kansas City, Missouri/Kansas (3) – Kansas City Royals (MLB-AL), Kansas City Chiefs (NFL-AFC), Sporting Kansas City (MLS) * The Royals and Cheifs play on the Missouri side, Sporting Kansas City plays on the Kansas side.
- St Louis, Missouri (3)– St. Louis Blues (NHL), St. Louis Cardinals (MLB-NL), St. Louis Rams (NFL-NFC)
New York/New Jersey – 4 NHL, 2 NBA, 2 MLB, 3 NFL, 2 MLS (inc. 1 Future), 2 NLL (15, 14 Current)
- Buffalo (3) – Buffalo Sabres (NHL), Buffalo Bills (NFL-AFC), Buffalo Bandits (NLL)
- New York City Metro (10 Current, 1 Expansion in 2015) – (NHL – 3 Teams) New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, New York Islanders / (NBA – 2 Teams) New York Knickerbockers, Brooklyn Nets / (MLB – 2 Teams) New York Yankees (AL), New York Mets (NL) / (NFL – 2 Teams) New York Giants (NFC), New York Jets (AFC) / (MLS – 1 Current Team, 1 Future Team) New York Red Bulls (Current), New York City FC (2015) *The Devils play in Newark, NJ. The Rangers and Knickerbockers both play in Manhattan, New York City, NY. The Islanders will be playing in Brooklyn, New York City, NY along with the Nets starting in the Fall of 2014. The Yankees play in the Bronx, New York City, NY as will New York City FC. The Mets play in Queens, New York City, NY. The Giants and the Jets play in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Red Bulls play in Harrison, New Jersey.
- Rochester (1) – Rochester Nighthawks (NLL)
North Carolina – 1 NHA, 1 NBA, 1 NFL (3 Total)
- Charlotte (2) – Charlotte Bobcats (NBA), Carolina Panthers (NFL-NFC)
- Raleigh (1) – Carolina Hurricanes (NHL)
Oklahoma – 1 NBA (1 Total)
- Oklahoma City (1) – Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)
Ohio – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 2 MLB, 2 NFL, 1 MLS (7 Total)
- Cincinnati (2)– Cincinnati Reds (MLB-NL), Cincinnati Bengals (NFL-AFC)
- Cleveland (3) – Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA), Cleveland Indians (MLB-AL), Cleveland Browns (NFL-AFC)
- Columbus (2) – Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL), Columbus Crew (MLS)
Oregon – 1 NBA, 1 MLS (2 Total)
- Portland (2) – Portland Trailblazers (NBA), Portland Timber (MLS)
Pennsylvania – 2 NHL, 1 NBA, 2 MLB, 2 NFL, 1 MLS, 1 NLL (9 Total)
- Philadelphia Metro (6) – Philadelphia Flyers (NHL), Philadephia 76ers (NBA), Philadephia Phillies (MLB-NL), Philadelphia Eagles (NFL-NFC), Philadelphia Union (MLS), Philadelphia Wings (NLL) *The Union MLS club plays out of Chester, PA a suburb of Philly.
- Pittsburgh (3) – Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL), Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB-NL), Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL-AFC)
Tennessee – 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 NFL (3 Total)
- Memphis (1) – Memphis Grizzlies (NBA)
- Nashville (2) – Nashville Predators (NHL), Tennessee Titans (NFL-AFC)
Texas – 1 NHL, 3 NBA, 2 MLB, 2 NFL, 2 MLS (10 Total)
- Dallas Metro (5) – Dallas Stars (NHL), Dallas Mavericks (NBA), Texas Rangers (MLB-AL), Dallas Cowboys (NFL-NFC), FC Dallas (MLS) * The Stars and Mavericks both play in Dallas, TX. The Rangers and Cowboys both play in Arlington, TX a suburn of Dallas. FC Dallas plays in Frisco, TX a suburb of Dallas.
- Houston (4) – Houston Rockets (NBA), Houston Astros (MLB-AL), Houston Texans (NFL-AFC), Houston Dynamos (MLS)
- San Antonio (1) – San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
Utah – 1 NBA, 1 MLS (2 Total)
- Salt Lake City Metro (2) – Utah Jazz (NBA), Real Salt Lake (MLS) * The Jazz play in Salt Lake City, UT. Real Salt Lake play in the metro of Sandy, UT.
Washington – 1 MLB, 1 NFL, 1 MLS (3 Total)
- Seattle (3) – Seattle Mariners (MLB-AL), Seattle Seahawks (NFL-NFC), Seattle Sounders (MLS)
Wisconsin – 1 NBA, 1 MLB, 1 NFL (3 Total)
- Green Bay (1) – Green Bay Packers (NFL-NFC)
- Milwaukee (2) – Milwaukee Bucks (NBA), Milwaukee Brewers (MLB-NL)